Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post Partum Foodie Depression

I'm a self-declared foodie.

  • I don't diet. I'd rather gain weight than be deprived of good food.
  • When not doing our weekly (sometimes daily) new restaurant food trip, I always make sure that my hubby and I are dining on something I made with love & passion, and from scratch (I try to channel "gourmet" in my home cooked meals).
  • I love love LOVE cooking and baking for friends and family. They're usually the most willing to taste my culinary experiments.
  • I don't mind spending a whole morning/afternoon in a well-stocked supermarket/deli.
  • Weekends are usually spent with co-foodie friends, trying out restaurants recommended by other food-fanatics (like Anton Diaz).
  • I try not to flinch when I see my inflated credit card bill that mostly contain bills from numerous restaurants - after all, it's a small price to pay to educate my palate and gastronomically please myself.
  • My Foursqare check-ins and Facebook mobile photo uploads will tell you that I spend 75% of my day eating in numerous restaurants, buying grocery/deli items, and cooking at home.

---------
Enter: MOTHERHOOD ('first-time motherhood' to be exact).
Exit: Foodie lifestyle.
---------

With the lack of time (to take a bath and eat, let alone cook, buy groceries, and dine out!), I have succumbed to having food delivered and/or the occasional light-speed version of my former from-scratch cooking. Our once always full 10 cubic feet fridge became an electricity-sucking cabinet that does nothing but cool a pitcher of water and delivery left-overs. For a foodie like me, this is somewhat unacceptable. Especially when I catch myself desperately eating a Sausage McMuffin and realize that I'm NOT drunk. Sad. Really sad.

It's a bit depressing when I know that most of my momentary stress would've been easily relieved by a bowl of pomelo salad from People's Palace or a slice of tiramisu from Conti's ....and even more upsetting to accept that it'll be a few more months from now before I can actually go to a restaurant with my baby who's still in the process of building up her immune system.

I am thankful, though, for: my mom who's been bringing me lunch from different surprise places everyday since I came home from the hospital  (the latest was Adobo To' - yum!); my hubby who's been buying me almond Snickers before coming home from work; and for quickdelivery.ph for having good restaurants a mere phone call away (they don't have People's Palace on their list though - boo). I, at least, get to eat food that I liked and food that were nutritious enough for me and my breastfeeding baby (no fast food for us!).

Speaking about breastfeeding, my little one is already due for her midnight meal. I better post this before she starts crying! (Oh how I wish my foodie cravings were as simple as my baby's obsession over my breastmilk!)

Till my next momble!

My Snowpie in a FOOD COMA right after breastfeeding hahaha
(look at that satisfied smile!)

___________________

I'm trying to master the "light-speed version of my former from-scratch cooking" that I mentioned earlier in this post. I found out that I work really well under (time) pressure nowadays. I guess that's a sign that I'm slowly adapting to the so-many-things-to-do-so-little-time mommy lifestyle.


I decided to include in my future blogs some of the recipes to my 'light-speed from-scratch dishes'. I hope they help other moms (or dads, too-busy-to-be-bothered individuals, domestically-clueless boy/girlfriends who want to impress their partners, etc.) maintain their sanity as they attempt to put food on the table. I think that this is the least that I could do to keep the foodie in me alive and somehow satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just bite your neck, haha! Sooo cute meine Enkelin! :))

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think about my MOMbling?